Who is The Silent Killer?

This killer can be in your home and you wouldn’t ever know it. You can’t see it, hear it, smell it, or taste it. This killer strikes fast and without warning. This killer can put you in a sleep you may never wake up from. This may sound like a horror movie but it is a very real danger. This “silent killer” is known as carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide is called the silent killer because it is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas which makes it hard for a person to detect until it is too late. It is produced by the incomplete combustion of solid, liquid, and gaseous fuels. If your appliances are fueled with gas, oil, kerosene, or wood they may produce carbon monoxide. Where the trouble comes in is when these appliances are not installed, maintained, and used properly which leads to the accumulation of carbon monoxide. No matter how well ventilated your home is there can still be places for carbon monoxide to accumulate.

Carbon monoxide is so powerful that it can effect you even in short durations with symptoms including headache, nausea, breathlessness, dizziness, collapse, and unconsciousness. Early carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms can even mimic many common ailments and may easily be confused with food poisoning, viral infections, flu or simple tiredness. Carbon monoxide also leaves your blood system quickly making it harder to detect.

Having a carbon monoxide detector is one of the most important things you can have in your home due to how difficult is it to detect CO. Crossfire understand the dangers of carbon monoxide and have developed the most technologically advanced carbon monoxide detector on the market. Not only is it the fasting responding CO alarm but it also uses the most advanced electro-chemical sensor available. Plus, this alarm also features supplemental heat detection to detect any increases in temperature that would signal a fire. Crossfire has thought of everything when it comes to protecting your home from carbon monoxide.

Keep yourself and your family safe from the silent killer.

Why You Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector

Why You Need a Carbon Monoxide Detector

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless gas responsible for over 400 deaths each year in the US. When the heating systems, ranges, or other appliances that run off gas in your home malfunction, it can cause the release carbon dioxide. Unfortunately, most people never realize there is a problem until the symptoms of exposure take over, or it is too late.

Carbon monoxide poisoning can cause headaches, nausea, vomiting, confusion, and dizziness, which many sufferers equate with having the flu. However, the longer the exposure to CO lasts, the symptoms can quickly turn into unconsciousness and death. This is especially true if gas leaks occur during the night when family members are sleeping, in which case the symptoms will go undetected.

Carbon monoxide poisoning results from the molecules of the gas being inhaled, where they slowly begin to replace the oxygen in your blood. When this happens, tissues and organs begin shutting down since they do not have adequate stores of oxygen present to sustain life.

As you can see, carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that can have serious and deadly consequences. One of the best ways to protect your family against these issues is to install a system designed specifically for carbon monoxide detection. Crossfire Alarms has developed a state of the art line of carbon monoxide detection equipment that is designed to provide your family with the protection they need to stay safe.

Crossfire systems take pride in providing the best, highest quality carbon monoxide detectors for placement throughout your home. The wireless technology ensures that the system will function properly in all conditions, giving you the peace of mind that comes from knowing you are doing everything you can to protect your family by providing detectors that can detect a problem as early as possible.

Source:

http://www.cdc.gov/co/faqs.htm

http://alarmswork.com/COSpecs.aspx?ID=www

 

The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide in the Workplace

The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide in the Workplace

Most people are aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide in their homes, but many don’t realize that these dangers are considerably higher in the workplace. Each year, thousands of employees lose their lives, and countless others deal with long-term effects as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning, and nearly every one of them could be prevented with the proper use of carbon monoxide detectors.

The main cause of carbon dioxide release in workplace environments is combustion engines, but there are also other areas where this is a problem as well. Ovens, boilers, furnaces, and forklifts all emit considerable amounts of the colorless, odorless gas, and this puts your employees in danger. In many cases, the cause of the emissions is improper venting, tight spaces, and faulty systems. As humans are unable to detect the presence of carbon monoxide, it remains the employer’s responsibility to provide proper protection to ensure the safety of all employees and customers.

The best ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning is to ensure that all equipment is maintained properly. Additionally, any known releasers of the gas should be vented to an outdoor area to ensure that it does not fill enclosed areas. However, the best way to protect your employees is to install carbon monoxide detectors in areas prone to higher levels of the gas. Look for systems that incorporate numerous units that are wirelessly linked to ensure that employees receive advanced notification of any problems.

This poisonous gas can strike quickly, and for those suffering from health issues the damage can occur even faster. If you want to ensure that your employees are safe, and that your organization complies with OSHA standards, take the initiative to install these detection systems to provide a safer working environment for all workers.

Source:

http://www.cwa-union.org/pages/carbon_monoxide_the_workplace

 

Carbon Monoxide Myths

Carbon Monoxide

The dangers of carbon monoxide are not a secret. Many people know the dangers they pose and how to protect themselves with the right kind of CO monitoring devices and alarms. However, despite knowing the dangers, many people still hold many misconceptions about carbon monoxide and the threat it poses. Below are some common myths about carbon monoxide and the truth behind them.

Misconception… “I will be able to smell/see/taste carbon monoxide.”

There’s a reason CO has the ominous nickname “Silent Killer.” CO is an odorless, tasteless and colorless gas that cannot be detected without the use of CO detectors and alarms. People who claim to be able to smell CO are confusing it with the scent of other combustion byproducts, which still pose a threat to your home and should be addressed immediately.

Misconception…“Carbon monoxide is only harmless at high levels.”

Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as oil, gas and wood burn. Like any gas created by fire, carbon monoxide is extremely poisonous, no matter what level. In most cases, the carbon monoxide created by heating equipment is properly vented out of a home to prevent build up indoors.

Misconception…“My CO detector beeps when I hit the test button, it should work to warn me.”

Common CO detectors only last about 6 years, and the test button is only designed to test the battery of the detector, not the detection system. Most CO alarms sold in the US do not sound until a certain threshold of CO concentration is reached. Often, even at the minimum thresholds, the concentration is already high enough to cause damage to you and your family. Crossfire Alarms CO Detectors are designed with one of the fastest response times and most reliable Co detectors available, warning you before gas levels are too high.

Misconception…“My CO detector is all I need to warn me of high CO levels.”

Annual inspections of your home heating equipment should be the first priority when it comes to home CO safety. Make sure your inspectors looks at chimneys and vents to make sure there isn’t any blockage that could prevent CO from safely leaving your home. Even with efficient alarms, such as those developed by Crossfire Alarms, getting your home inspected is the best way to guarantee your family’s safety from CO poisoning.

Misconception…”One CO Detector is enough.”

Industry standard is to install a minimum of one CO detector on each level of your home. At a minimum, one CO Detector should be placed on each sleeping level. Additional detectors should be placed in areas near any gas burning appliances. This will ensure rapid detection throughout the home and raise your chances of getting out of the house safely.

As far as the safety of you and your family is concerned, you can never be too careful. Carbon monoxide is a threat to any homeowners, and poses no warning when it is ready to strike. Knowing the dangers and what you can do to keep yourself safer, along with high quality CO detectors such as Crossfire, can keep you and your loved ones from falling victim to the Silent Killer.